Let’s Visit The Statue Of Liberty!

When Mrs. Yollis parked the bus, we had to get on a ferry boat to get to the Statue Of Liberty! April fools!. We didn’t really go to the statue of liberty we used something called virtual reality. Virtual reality is when you wear goggles and there is a phone inside the goggles to make you see different landmarks that look real. For example, we went to six different places that were the Grand Canon, the Golden Gate Bridge, Mount Rushmore, and the Statue Of Liberty. I will be taking you away from this state of California to New York!

The Statue Of Liberty was completed in 1884 and became a national monument in 1924. The statue of liberty is made out of copper. The copper is as thick as two pennies. That is not very thick, but if you put it on the whole statue then it might feel pretty thick.   The Statue Of Liberty’s formal name is Liberty Enlightening the world, but most people know her as the Statue of Liberty or Lady Liberty.

Photo by Mrs. Yollis.

Photo by Mrs. Yollis.

Have you ever been to the Statue Of Liberty, if so what was it like?

Do you know any other facts about the Statue Of Liberty, if so then what are they?

7 thoughts on “Let’s Visit The Statue Of Liberty!

1. I’ve been to the Statue of Liberty. It’s a very powerful symbol of freedom and opportunity. My grandparents passed through Ellis Island when they came to the United States many years ago, and Lady Liberty was there to greet them to their new home. Thanks for educating me about this important American landmark.

2. I went to the Statute of Liberty when I was a child. We were able to walk up the statute and stand in her crown! I remember the staircase – it was long.

I don’t know many more facts about the Statute of Liberty, but I do know why it is green! I studied metals and you were right in saying that the statute is made out of copper – like pennies. But when you look at the statue it is green, not the color of pennies. That is because it has developed a patina – that is a natural coating that occurs with metals (just like iron gets rusty if left outside). This is due from exposure to moisture (water) and the air (oxygen). In the case of iron, rust is brown in color but in the case of copper the patina is that pretty green you see on the statute.

Thank you for taking me on your virtual field trip. I had fun!

• Dear Dr. N (Mom),
      Thank you for learning about the Statue Of Liberty with my virtual reality post!

I already knew that the Statue Of Liberty is green but I didn’t know how it was green so thank you for telling me how it is green. I also didn’t know that you have been to the Statue of Liberty, you have never told me before.

What did you do at the Statue Of Liberty?
      Did you go to the rest of New York too?

L♥ve,
      Ana Prewit

3. Ana, I have seen the Statue of Liberty from a distance but I have never been up close. Did you know that it was a gift to the people of the United States from the people of France? It is known all over the world as a symbol of liberty and democracy. Many many people coming to this country to live here (immigrants) see it as they arrive in their new country. The United States has always been a country that welcomed people who were trying to escape from other places where their lives were very difficult. Hopefully, this will continue to be the way the American people help others who are less fortunate.

I’m so glad that you were able to take this virtual trip to see Lady Liberty!

4. Dear Ana,
    What a good description of the Statue of Liberty you wrote. it reminded me of going there when I was just your age. We were able to walk all the way to the top and look out over the water. It is a beautiful symbol of our freedom, and a good memory for me. Thank you very much.
    Linda

5. Hi Ana,
    You are so lucky! I am quite a bit older that you and I have never seen Lady Liberty. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Mrs. C

6. Ana,

Nicely written post 🙂 Your post made me nostalgic.

We used to live in New Jersey and have visited The Statue of Liberty quiet often.

We have to take a ferry ride to reach Lady Liberty. We can stop at Elis Island or continue on to the Statue of Liberty. The fun fact is that even though many people think that it is a New York landmark, the Statue of Liberty is actually in New Jersey waters. Both states had a long legal battle to claim rights to Lady Liberty.

I hope someday you will visit it and Elis Island. Meanwhile, continue the virtual visits and keep on sharing. 🙂

Best wishes.

Mrs. Trivedi-Ziemba
    Student Blogging Challenge Commenter, USA
    http://trivediziemba.edublogs.org/